Many ebikes by Rad Power Bikes are equipped with a side-mounted kickstand that can be adjusted.
Adjusting the length of the kickstand will change the angle at which the bike leans when the kickstand is used to prop up the bike. This can be useful for keeping a parked bike balanced on uneven ground.
Follow the steps in this guide to adjust the kickstand on your ebike, if needed.
You will need:
- 4 mm Allen wrench
- A friend or a bike stand to safely and securely hold the bike upright during adjustment
- Get the bike ready for maintenance. Turn off the bike, remove the battery, and press and hold MODE (or the power button) to discharge remaining power.
- Prop the bike on the kickstand to check the angle of the bike. Start on flat ground and prop the bike on the kickstand. Check the angle of the bike and decide if you want to shorten or lengthen the kickstand.
- Locate the kickstand adjustment bolt. On most models, the kickstand adjustment bolt is located on the inner side of the kickstand, midway between the top and bottom of the kickstand (circled below).
- Adjust the kickstand.
- Have a friend or bike stand hold the bike safely and securely upright so the bike is not resting on the kickstand.
- Use a 4 mm Allen wrench to loosen (but not remove) the kickstand adjustment bolt.
- Gently push or pull the lower part of the kickstand to make the kickstand shorter or longer. The shorter the kickstand, the deeper the bike will lean when propped on a level surface; the longer the kickstand, the more upright the bike will stand when propped on a level surface.
- Once adjusted to the desired length, use a 4 mm Allen wrench to tighten the kickstand adjustment bolt securely.
- Check the angle of the bike. Prop the bike on the kickstand and check the angle of the bike now that the kickstand has been adjusted. Ensure the angle allows the bike to lean against the kickstand securely and not tip over in either direction.
Cargo on the bike and/or using the kickstand on an incline can impact the security of the bike while propped on the kickstand. Do not assume the bike is stable and balanced when using the kickstand. Check and ensure that the ebike is stable and balanced on the kickstand before looking or walking away.
- Repeat step 4 to adjust the kickstand again, if needed.
- Once adjusted, double-check that the kickstand adjustment bolt is tightened securely.
The kickstand is not designed to be used while loading a passenger or cargo. You MUST hold onto the bike whenever loading a passenger or cargo. Always hold onto the bike when a passenger or cargo is being loaded, unloaded, or in place on the ebike.
- Reinstall the battery and test the bike fully before riding.