This guide will show you how to install the front rack accessory on an ebike by Rad Power Bikes.
You will need:
- 4 mm Allen wrench
- 5 mm Allen wrench
- 10 mm wrench
- A torque wrench with a 5 mm Allen bit
- Phillips head screwdriver (2019 and earlier models)
- Flat side cutters
- The front rack and included hardware. (Note: some hardware may be model-specific. You may not use all of the included hardware.)
- Get the bike ready for installation. Turn off the bike, remove the battery, and press and hold MODE (or the power button) to discharge remaining power.
- Trace the cable coming out of the left brake lever to the caliper near the front wheel.
If the brake cable runs in between the fork and the wheel and is secured at the front of the fork lower (as shown in the image below), follow the steps in this HERE to reroute the brake cable before installing the front rack.The brake cable must be in the proper position before attempting to install the front rack. Improper placement of the brake cable during front rack installation can lead to premature wear on the brake cable housing.
If the brake cable runs along the side of the fork and is secured on the rear of the fork lower (as shown in the image below), you do not need to reroute the brake cable. Continue to the next section.
- Unplug the headlight connector. Snip zip ties as needed, then pull each side of the connector directly apart, without twisting, to unplug.
- Remove the headlight. Use a 5 mm Allen wrench and a 10 mm wrench to remove the headlight mounting bolt, flat washers, and lock nut. Set the headlight aside; it will be installed on the front rack later.
- Secure the fender. If your bike has a fender, reinstall the headlight mounting hardware.
- Pass the washer over the bolt end and insert the bolt through the fender mounting point and the mounting point on the fork arch.
- Pass the other washer over the bolt end and thread on the lock nut.
- Torque the bolt to 6 Nm.
- Locate and prepare the headlight mounting hardware included with the front rack accessory. Pass a split washer and then a flat washer over the bolt end and set aside.
- Check if the headlight bracket is compatible with the front rack.
For 2020 and newer models: The headlight bracket is compatible with the front rack. The additional bracket included with the front rack accessory is not necessary for installation.
For 2019 and earlier models: The headlight bracket is not compatible with the front rack. Follow the steps below to install the headlight on the compatible bracket.
- Locate the additional bracket included with the front rack accessory.
- Uninstall the headlight from the original bracket.
- Install the headlight on the new bracket.
- Flip over the front rack to access the mounting point.
- Place the large flat washer over the front rack mounting point.
- Orient the headlight bracket so it is upside-down, and place it in position over the washer. The washer should be between the headlight bracket and the mouting point. The headlight must be upside-down so it will be properly oriented when the front rack is flipped over.
- Install the headlight mounting hardware. Pass the bolt and two washers through the headlight mounting bracket and the mounting point on the rack. Use a 4 mm Allen wrench to tighten securely.
The headlight will look like this when properly installed and adjusted on the front rack.
- Locate and connect the headlight cable extender included with the front rack accessory. Line up the internal notch and pins and external arrows with the headlight connector end and press the two ends together, without twisting, to connect.
- Zip tie the cable extender to the side of the rack. Trim the zip ties to be flush and smooth.
- Remove the hardware from the headtube. Use a 4 mm Allen wrench to remove the bolts and washers from the headtube at the front of the bike.
- Locate and prepare the front rack mounting hardware included with the front rack accessory. Pass a split washer and then a flat washer over each bolt end and set them aside. The hardware will replace the headtube bolts removed in the previous step.
- Separate the cables at the front of the bike to make room for the front rack. Snip zip ties if needed, and make sure both brake cables are on the rider’s left side and run behind the fork. All other cables should be on the rider’s right side.
- Orient the front rack for installation. Flip the front rack so it is sitting upright and place it over the headtube mounting points. Be careful not to pinch any cables behind the rack.
- Install the front rack mounting hardware.
- Thread a bolt through the mounting point on the front rack and into the headtube by hand, partway.
- Repeat with the remaining bolts and use a 5 mm Allen wrench, moving in an X pattern, to tighten the 4 bolts evenly and securely.
- Plug in the headlight. Locate the connector ends. Line up the internal notch and pins (and external arrows) and press directly together, without twisting, to reconnect.
- Adjust the headlight and reflector downward so it does not blind oncoming traffic when turned on.
- Turn the handlebar to check cable slack. The handlebar should turn freely when there is enough cable slack. Ensure the brake cable is not restricted by the front rack.
- Reinstall the battery and test the bike fully before riding.