The RadMini Rear Rack is compatible with the 2018 and 2019 RadMini and RadMini Step-Thru.
Read through the instructions and contact Rad Power Bikes Product Support if you have questions. If you are not confident in your ability to successfully and safely perform all steps, we recommend having the work performed by a local, certified, and reputable bike mechanic.
RadMini rear rack kits include:
- Rear rack
- Zip ties
- Mounting hardware including:
- 2 x 33 mm long bolts (for rack lowers)
- 2 x 28 mm long bolts (for rack uppers)
- 2 x washers
- 2 x lock nuts
- Flat side cutters
- 5 mm Allen wrench
- 10 mm wrench
These instructions detail the rack installation on the 2019 RadMini. For installation on a
2018 RadMini, see only relevant steps: 1, 4, 5, and 11.
- Power off the bike. Ensure the bike is in the off position, remove the seat, and use the
key to remove the battery. Once removed, press and hold the “MODE” button on the
LCD Display Remote until the display remains off for about two seconds (it may flash on
briefly). This ensures the power is fully discharged from the bike and it is safe to work
- Disconnect the taillight cable. Pull the connector directly apart without twisting to
- Remove the taillight mounting bracket. Use a 5 mm Allen wrench to remove both
bolts. Set the bracket/taillight aside.
- Attach the upper mounting points. Place the rack in position and attach the upper and
lower mounting points using the shorter, 28 mm long bolts. Thread each bolt into the
mounting point on the rack and then the frame carefully by hand. Use a 5 mm Allen
wrench to torque to 7 Nm.
- Attach the lower mounting points. Thread the two remaining (33 mm long) bolts into
the mounting point on the rack and then the frame carefully by hand. Use a 5 mm Allen
wrench to torque to 7 Nm. Once the bolts are tight against the rear rack lower, install a
washer and then thread a lock nut onto the bolt end. Use a 10 mm wrench to torque the
lock nut to 7 Nm.
- Remove the taillight from the mount. Use a 10 mm wrench to remove the lock nuts and washers holding the taillight to the light mount. Set the lock nuts and washers aside for reinstallation.
- Attach the taillight to the rack mount. Place the taillight in position on the taillight mounting plate on the rear rack. Install the washers and thread the lock nuts onto the bolt ends by hand. Use a 10 mm wrench to tighten the lock nuts and attach the light securely.
- Snip the two zip ties holding the taillight cable onto the seatstay taking care to not damage the cable housing or wires.
- Connect the taillight. First, ensure the taillight cable runs from the chainstay, outside the derailleur bash guard, and along the inside of the rear rack. Fully seat the connection by aligning the notches and pins on the inside of the connector, and the arrows on the outside, and pressing the two sides of the connector together without twisting.
- Secure the cable to the rack. Starting near the light at the back of the rack, align the cable with the two cable guides along the inside of the rear rack. Keep the cable taught enough to remain clear of the rear wheel spokes, but not so tight the cable could be damaged by over-stretching. Use zip ties to attach the cable connector to the rack at the guides. Next, secure the cable to the rack mounting point just below the rack dropout, by wrapping a zip tie around the mounting point. Use a flat side cutter to snip off zip tie excess.
- Test the bike and taillight fully. Reinstall the battery, test the bike and taillight fully, and have your work inspected by a certified, reputable bike mechanic before continuing to Ride Rad!
Questions or comments? Contact us!
Phone: (800) 939-0310 x 2