These instructions detail the rack installation on the 2019 RadRover. For installation on a 2018 or 2017 RadRover, see only relevant steps: 1, 4, 5, 6, and 12.
If you are not confident in your ability to successfully and safely perform all steps, we recommend having the work performed by a local, certified, and reputable bike mechanic.
RadRover rear rack kits include:
- Rear rack
- Tail light extension cord
- Zip ties
- Mounting hardware, including:
- 4 x 28 mm long mounting bolts
- 2 x washers
- 2 x lock nuts
- Flat side cutters
- 8 mm wrench
- 4 mm Allen wrench
- A torque wrench
- Power off the bike. Ensure the bike is in the off position and use the key to remove the battery. Once removed, press and hold the “MODE” button on the LCD Display Remote until the display remains off for about two seconds (it may flash on briefly). This ensures the power is fully discharged from the bike and it is safe to work on.
- Unplug the taillight cable. Snip the zip tie holding the taillight cable and connector in a bundle and pull the connector apart without twisting to unplug.
- Remove the taillight mounting bracket. Use a 4 mm Allen wrench to remove both bolts. Set the bracket/taillight and the bolts aside.
- Attach the upper mounting arms. Place the rack in position and attach the upper mounting arms to the mounting points using two included bolts. Torque to 7 Nm.
- Attach the rear rack lowers to the mounting points on the frame (at the seat stay). Thread a bolt into the lower mounting point on the rack and the seat stay of the frame. Use a 4 mm Allen wrench to tighten. Once the bolt is tight against the rear rack lower, install a washer and then thread a lock nut onto the bolt end. Repeat on the other dropout. Use a 4 mm Allen wrench and 8 mm wrench to torque to 7 Nm.
- Adjust the rack to be level by using a 4 mm Allen wrench to loosen the two bolts on the upper mounting arm clamp. Once loose, slide the rack forwards or backwards to adjust the rack angle. To secure, torque the mounting arm clamp bolts to 7 Nm.
- Remove the taillight from the mount. Use an 8 mm wrench to remove the two lock nuts and washers holding the taillight to the light mount. Set aside for reinstallation.
- Attach the taillight to the rack mount. Place the taillight in position on the taillight mounting plate on the rear rack. Install the washers and thread the lock nuts onto the bolt ends by hand. Use an 8 mm wrench to tighten the lock nuts and attach the light securely.
- Connect the cable extension to the taillight. Locate the appropriate end of the taillight cable extension, align the notches and pins, and press the two sides of the connector together without twisting to fully seat the connection.
- Secure the cable extension to the rack. Align the cable extension with the cable guides along the rear rack. Keep the cable taut enough to remain clear of the rear wheel spokes, but not so tight the cable could be damaged by over-stretching. Starting near the taillight at the back of the rack, use zip ties to attach the cable to the rack. Working towards the seat post, attach the cable to the cable guides securely using zip ties. Use a flat side cutter to snip off zip tie excess.
- Connect the cable extension to the controller. Align the notches and pins on each side of the connector and press the two sides together without twisting to fully seat the connection. Bundle any excess cable loosely, secure with a zip tie, and use a flat side cutter to snip off zip tie excess.
- Reinstall the battery and test the bike fully.