Follow the steps below to install handlebar mitts on your bike.
If you are not confident in your ability to successfully and safely perform all steps, we recommend having the work performed or checked by a local, certified, and reputable bike mechanic.
- Flat head screwdriver
- 3 mm Allen wrench
- The handlebar mitt accessory from Rad Power Bikes
- Get the bike ready for maintenance. Turn off the bike, remove the battery, and press and hold the MODE or power button to discharge remaining power.
- Remove the handlebar end caps. Carefully use a flat head screwdriver to pry the end caps out of the handlebar ends, then remove. Store the end caps for future use or recycle according to local rules.
- Install the handlebar mitts.
- Orient one handlebar mitt so the reflective side is at the handlebar end.
- Unzip and detach the velcro, then slide the handlebar mitts over the grip and handlebar controls.
- Close the zipper, then close the velcro around the bar. Make sure no cables are pinched or bent as they exit the openings.
- Install the new handlebar end caps that came with your Handlebar Mitts. Refer to the illustrations below.
- Pass one handlebar end cap through the round opening near the reflective patch.
- Insert the handlebar end cap into the handlebar end.
- Hold the end cap in place with a few fingers and use an Allen wrench to tighten the bolt until the end cap is secure enough to keep the handlebar mitt attached to the handlebar and loose enough so there is some rotation to accommodate arm positions. Do not overtighten.
All other models:
- Repeat steps 3-4 with the second handlebar mitt on the other side of the handlebar.
- Click HERE to access the accessory care instructions and warnings.
- Once the accessory is installed, reinstall the battery, test the bike fully, and ride Rad!